Saturday, July 11, 2009
Extended hours: 5:30-10:30 pm
It's an Arts Extravaganza! Fasten your seatbelts, this is going to be fantastically fun! There is a whirlwind of arts events in Media this 2nd Saturday. July's 2nd Saturday falls between the anniversaries of the American and French Revolutions: America's Fourth of July and France's Bastille Day on July 14. We will celebrate with theatre, dancing, street artists, live music, kids' activities and much more! There is so much happening, it is hard to know where to begin, but here it goes...
Program of events: All locations are listed on the map!
- 5:45-6:00 Chic Dog Fashion Show by Delco SPCA
- 6:00-6:15 Fair Trade Town Anniversary Celebration
- 6:15-6:25 Storming of the Bastille by Hedgerow Theatre
- 6:25-6:45 Theatre Performances & Award to WWII D-Day Veteran
- 6:45-7:30 Storytelling with Ben Franklin by Dean Bennett
- 7:30-8:30 Gypsy Jazz by Hot Club of Philly
- 8:30-9:00 Swing Dance Lessons by Tango 411 Studio
- 9:00-10:30 Dixieland by Barbone Street Jazz Band
And look for these ongoing activities...
- Carriage Rides by Media Historical Society
- Corn husk doll making with Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation
- Wind sock making with Community Arts Center
- Historical paper making & silk marbling by Richard Aldorasi
- Tie-dying with Bob Deane
... and street artists:
- Stilts, juggling & balloon art by Dick Rainer
- Face painting by Tisha Taylor & Jeff Dougherty
- Strolling Accordionist Greg Troiano
- Flying Painter Colin Magness
Plein Air Painting (that's painting outdoors, just like Paris!)
- Wayne Brown, Dee Casner, Veronica Gledhill, Rebecca Michelle Lee, Matiko Mamaladze & Carol Mangano
State Street will be closed on three blocks (Orange Street to Jackson Street) to accommodate the performances. There will be many Bastille Day arts events at 2nd Saturday Participating Businesses through the evening, with 50 businesses hosting 25 visual artists and live music at 14 locations!
It's a lot to fit, but you can find it all on our 2nd Saturday map! Check it out now, or pick it up at participating businesses on 2nd Saturday.
Enjoy the atmosphere of 1940's Paris!
Gypsy Jazz by Hot Club of Philly
Olive Street Stage 7:30-8:30
Dixieland by Barbone Street Jazz Band
Olive Street Stage9:00-10:30
Practice your swing dancing! This popular six-piece band's dance music is a mix of Small Band Swing, New Orleans Jazz, American Songbook and Dixieland. The rain location for Hot Club of Philly and Barbone Street Jazz Band is the Media Theatre, with a $3 suggested donation.
Bastille Day is coordinated by Media Arts Council volunteers, with the involvement of 9 other community groups! There is more information on our website, including the 2nd Saturday map! La Belle Epoque Wine Bistro and La Colombe Coffee are our Bastille Day sponsors. Baker Printing is our Bastille Day map sponsor. The Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union is our 2nd Saturday presenting sponsor.
Thank you for your interest in M.A.C. and for your support of the arts in Media, PA. Please help us spread the word about Bastille Day; share this [blog post] with your friends!
Media Arts Council
(via Press Release)